Disability Car Conversions is a crucial path when considering your mobility journey. A vehicle modification can start as small as implementing dual controls to a car or something more complex like changing the conversions of a car.
No matter what your requirement is, Gilani Engineering has all the solutions available when it comes to disability car conversions and vehicle modifications.
According to the RMS (Roads and Maritime Service), a vehicle is classified as modified if the original manufacturer’s specifications have been changed or altered by replacing, adding or upgrading components of its body, engine, brakes, drive train or chassis.
People do this so that they are able to change the appearance, handling or performance of the vehicle.
When it comes to modifying a vehicle, you must follow the procedures and safety guidelines to apply the modification for a car to use on the roads.
You must also attain certification for vehicle modification in order to be compliant with the NSW RMS.
The Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) is provided to customers when doing a modification here at Gilani Engineering as the modifications are completed by a qualified engineer and a licensed VSCCS certifier.
Once the vehicle is modified and you have the right documentation for it, you must take it to an NSW service centre to update the vehicle records.
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) can assist in funding vehicle modification. It can be included in your NDIS Plan if it is a reasonable and necessary support that will meet your needs and help you achieve your goals.
Gilani Engineering’s objective is to make driving a pleasurable and comfortable experience. We aim to deliver the latest and top-quality dual control and accessible vehicle modification services, equipment and products to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our clients and customers.
Examples of some of the vehicle modification equipment we provide are:
* Satellite Accelerators
* Mechanical brake levers
* Power-assisted braking & steering
* Swivel chair bases,
* Scooter hoists
We employ a variety of suppliers to provide accessibility to everyone throughout Australia. If we do not have the exact product that you desire, we will make it for you because your needs are important to us.
By getting vehicle modification, individuals are able to feel more independent and it can influence their social life in the community due to being able to go to places more often by having access to a modified car that suits their needs.
People with permanent physical limitations may impact personal independence and mobility as well as the ability to drive in a safe manner. According to the World Health Organisation, the impact of mobility and transportation can impact an individual’s social, medical, family and recreational participation.
As a result, attaining independent community mobility contributes to productivity and quality of life. This is vital when it comes to rehabilitation and both community and work participation.
Gilani Engineering is able to provide people with limited use of hands, arms or legs vehicle modification options depending on each person’s circumstances. These aids and adaptation for driving solutions:
- Brake functions
Vehicle modifications are able to provide transportation options for people with disabilities. A vehicle modification can be as simple as adding an additional pedal to larger modifications such as adding a ramp to your vehicle for easy wheelchair access.
The cost of a vehicle modification can vary depending on what you are looking to do to your car.
Now that you have understood the term vehicle modifications. Here is the process when it comes to obtaining your modified vehicle.
- Firstly, you must look into the state you are wanting to drive in as each state has its own requirements and law when it comes to vehicle modifications.
- A Driver Trained Occupational Therapist (DTOT) or specialised driving instructor (SDI) will be able to confirm your requirements for a driving test based on your license conditions. Once the DTOT has been in contact with you, the DTOT will be able to determine your driving goals, level of disability and determine if they are the right person to help you in your driving journey. The DTOT will then organise with you to try out the various equipment available for your situation and circumstances.
- The DTOT will then help you understand the various equipment available and you will be able to test drive the equipment to find what is most suitable for you. We at Gilani Engineering have a large range of ergonomic and technologically advanced equipment that you view on our website or in the showroom which is out on display.
- The DTOT will then finalise a report for you with relevant quotes so that you are able to give it to your funding manager whether that be NDIS, ICare, Veterans Affairs or Australian Defence Force. You must also take into consideration that if you are fitting it into an existing car or intend to purchase one that it complies with NDIS requirements for modified vehicles. The process can be sped up if you are privately funding the modification of the vehicle as there will be a shortened process to it.
- Once the funding has come through, you can start the modification process and get all the necessary sorted when it comes to driving a modified vehicle.
The process of the modification can take as little as a few days to up to a month depending on the complexity of the modification. The team at
We are always communicating with our clients to ensure that their needs are being met and they are satisfied with every solution that is presented.
Our Clientele comes from Australian Wide since companies such as Problem Management Engineering (PME AUTO CONVERSIONS), Mobilitycare, Total Mobility, TOTALABILITY and Right Price Conversions refer clients to us to assist them with the best solution.
Gilani Engineering is here with you every step of the way from asking questions and understanding what it means to get a car modified to the actual conversion of the vehicle.