A bariatric wheelchair is a type of wheelchair that is particularly designed for large individuals. It is a heavy-duty wheelchair made sturdy and strong enough to accommodate high-weight users.
Like any other wheelchair model, it is also used to give mobility to the person unable to walk due to injury, illness, medical problems, or old age problems. It is equally safe and secure for use.
Usually, the bariatric wheelchair is mostly used by heavyweight persons. Their frame is made up of steel for extra strength and stability compared to other wheelchair models that are made of light materials such as aluminum. They have a weight-bearing capacity of up to 250 Kg.
The seat width of these wheelchairs ranges from 55 to 76 cm. However, some special models also have 90 cm or more wide seats. The right width for a bariatric wheelchair is crucial to provide comfortable seating. Otherwise, the user feels cramped.
Bariatric wheelchairs come in two main types;
1. Manual Bariatric Wheelchair: Manual bariatric wheelchairs are propelled by the user or a caregiver.
2. Electric Bariatric Wheelchair: Electric bariatric wheelchairs are powered by a battery and controlled by the user through a joystick or controller.
The primary users of bariatric wheelchairs are individuals with obesity. Obesity is a growing health problem that affects millions of people worldwide. These individuals often have difficulty with mobility due to the strain excess weight puts on their joints and muscles.
So, a bariatric wheelchair can provide much-needed support and comfort for these individuals.
In addition to individuals with obesity, bariatric wheelchairs can be used by people with other medical conditions that affect their mobility, such as muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and spinal cord injuries.
Comfort: Bariatric wheelchairs are designed with wider seats and extra padding to provide a more comfortable seating experience for individuals with larger bodies. It can help prevent pressure sores and other discomforts associated with extended periods of sitting.
Safety: Bariatric wheelchairs are built to handle higher weight capacities, making them sturdier and less likely to tip over. It provides increased security for individuals who need extra support and stability.
Increased Mobility: With a bariatric wheelchair, individuals with mobility impairments can still participate in daily activities such as shopping, going to the doctor, and spending time with family and friends. This can help improve quality of life and mental health.
The key features of Bariatric wheelchairs are;
- Weight Capacity: The weight capacity of a bariatric wheelchair can vary depending on the model, but they are generally designed to support individuals weighing 250-270 Kg or more.
- Seat Width and Depth: Bariatric wheelchairs have wider and deeper seats to accommodate individuals with larger bodies. The seat may also have extra padding for added comfort.
- Frame Design: The frame of a bariatric wheelchair is typically made from stronger materials like steel than a standard wheelchair to support the higher weight capacity. Some bariatric wheelchairs also have reinforced frames or extra cross braces for added stability.
A bariatric wheelchair can vary depending on the model and features, but they are generally more expensive than standard wheelchairs. However, some insurance plans may cover the cost of a bariatric wheelchair if it is deemed medically necessary.
Gilani Engineering offers all types of wheelchairs. You can buy any kind of quality wheelchair from us.
We are the leading mobility equipment provider in this region. You can buy any type of wheelchair, such as manual, electric, standing, or bariatric wheelchair, on our website.
A bariatric wheelchair is a specialized type of wheelchair designed to support individuals with mobility impairments due to obesity or other medical conditions.
Bariatric wheelchairs provide increased comfort, safety, and mobility for individuals with larger bodies, allowing them to participate in daily activities and improve their quality of life.
With a range of features and types available, bariatric wheelchairs can be customized to meet the unique needs of each individual.